Homepage update

2017/05/20


I’ve updated and streamlined the internal structure of my homepage which will make it much easier to manage. This is yet another attempt to better understand Jekyll and come up with a website which is easy to manage and update regularly.

In the process of the update I’ve moved over almost all content from the previous version (also build with Jekyll, but back in January 2014), and in particular created a special gallery of simulations instead of a series of posts like in the previous version (although these simulations are also displayed in posts).

The design of the homepage closely follows the style of University of Virginia, and is in line with the new Math Department website which I am also building.

Technical structure

The source code is hosted on GitHub, the website is built by Travis CI, and the resulting website is hosted on Amazon S3. The resources pertaining to the website (images, graphs, etc.) are stored in a separate S3 bucket and are linked from it. In this way the source code repository on GitHub can be kept small, which also frees some of my own precious Dropbox space.

The best part is that I can update the homepage by simply committing to GitHub. Moreover, this also allows me to keep current versions of PDF documents (like CV or syllabi) on GitHub, and checkout them to my homepage during builds. In this way the PDFs are hosted at the homepage and one does not have to go to GitHub to look at them.

Another good thing is that I switched to a faster rendering engine, KaTeX (instead of MathJax), which will allow to post longer math texts. Well, this logo still uses MathJax - both engines have their own merits (and KaTeX simply cannot render logos for some reason).

Other websites I built using Jekyll

So this new homepage is about the fifth website I made. Overall, this was a very interesting technical experience recently, but now I have to get back to doing math. The first step is to review all those papers sitting there waiting…





Jekyll logo
Jekyll logo